Saturday 29 October 2016

Siena

If you've never been to Siena, come. If you've ever been, come back. I came back. It's my sixth visit but I haven't been here for seventeen years. The Rough Guide describes it as 'immediately ravishing and endlessly mysterious' (or something - haven't got the quote to hand). They're not wrong. It's a tiny city but on such a grand scale.
Endless staircases and ravines of rosy brick. Chasms of ancient windows. Marble staircases as is heaven - or so I'm told. And then the Campo. A dream-like space. The atmosphere of happy antiquity enfolds you.
There are little dogs everywhere but I haven't seen a single turd.
As for the Duomo... Every inch of it offers a decorative feast.
I dreamt last night I was kissed by Jacob Rees-Mogg, but even that couldn't spoil my mood of exaltation.

No comments:

Post a Comment